Switching to green period products is one of the simplest ways of embracing the sustainable lifestyle.
Not only is it safer for the environment but can also benefit your health immensely. Moreover, even a single person who stops using disposable period products can have a significant impact on the environment.
Just have a look at these destructive consequences of our convenient and consumeristic menstrual products -
- The industrially produced disposable sanitary pads and tampons contain up to 90℅ non biodegradable plastic and are usually individually wrapped in single use plastic.
- Not only do they add around 200,000 tonnes of plastic waste every year, their production is resource and chemical intensive. So they put constant pressure on the environment throughout their life cycle.
- The pads and tampons are made with synthetic compounds like rayon or non organic cotton. They might also include harsh chemicals like chlorine, dioxins, furans, and undisclosed fragrances.
- These menstrual products have been found to contain endocrine disrupting chemicals like parabens and bisphenols which can cause cancer and affect fetal development.
- As they contain organic matter after use along with the plastics, recycling these period products becomes an economical and technological challenge. So, most of them end up in landfills.
- These products are often disposed improperly i.e. they are flushed down the toilet. This in turn clogs the sewers and pollutes freshwater sources and our seas.
- A single pad or tampon takes around 500 to 800 years to break down, all the time releasing harmful microplastics into the environment. They also leach harmful chemicals and poison the soil, groundwater, and even air.
- Over their lifetimes every woman will use between 5 to 15 thousand such sanitary pads or tampons. On average every woman disposes off 125 to 150 kg of period product waste over her lifetime.
Products like menstrual cups which have longer shelf life, the impact is just 1% of the impacts of disposable products. Moreover, their reusability makes them extremely economical and as they are chemical free they are safe for your health also.
Here are the most popular eco friendly period products -
1. Menstrual Cup is a flexible funnel shaped cup made from latex free rubber or silicone. These can be used for five to ten years.
2. Biodegradable/Compostable sanitary pads and tampons are made with cotton and wood pulp. Some might have a bioplastic layer and are disposable
3. Reusable pads are made from cotton and hemp and can be reused for one to two years.